With the Fourth of July holiday upon us, the La Porte Police Department issues the following friendly reminders regarding the use of fireworks within the city limits.
In the State of Indiana, if you are 18 years of age or older, you may legally purchase, possess and discharge Consumer and Section 8 (a) fireworks which include bottle rockets, roman candles, fire crackers, sparklers, ground spinners, cone fountains, wheels and cylindrical fountains.
Those less than 18 years of age may only possess and discharge legal fireworks when accompanied by an adult.
Fireworks may only be discharged on:
- The user’s property
- The property of someone who granted permission to discharge fireworks on their property
- At a special discharge location
The discharge of fireworks within the La Porte City limits is restricted to the following dates and times:
- Memorial Day: between 5:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- June 28th thru July 3rd: between 5:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- July 4th: between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight
- Veteran’s Day: between 5:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- From 10:00 a.m. on New Year’s Eve to 1:00 a.m. on New Year’s Day.
The penalty for violation of the ordinance is a fine of $300.00
For more information about fireworks laws, visit:
Indiana Law Code
Indiana Department of Homeland Security
La Porte Municipal Code – Article 1. Sec. 70-4 Consumer Fireworks
Brochure information is also available in the lobby of the La Porte Police Department.
# # #