Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.
Tips from the city:
• If you step on the lawn and the grass springs back, it doesn’t need to be watered. Most lawns will need at least one inch of water per week. It is best to apply this amount of water in a single, thorough soaking, or two equal applications of water three to four days apart.
• The best time to water your lawn is in the early morning from 4:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. when winds are calm, temperatures are cool and evaporation is negligible. Do not water your lawn during the heat of the day, as this will damage your grass.
• If you have a sprinkling system, be sure the sprinklers are not watering the driveway, sidewalk or street; and install a rain shut-off switch to turn off the system in rainy weather.
• Rain barrels can be used to catch rainwater for outdoor plants, trees and flowers. For information about purchasing a rain barrel, visit valpo.us/MS4.
• Raising your lawn mower blade will promote deeper root growth of your grass.
• To conserve water, clean driveways, sidewalks and steps with a broom instead of a hose.
For specific questions about watering, contact the Porter County Master Gardener Hotline at 219-465-3555.