Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.
[Photo Provided/Indiana House Republican Caucus]
Members of the Indiana House Republican Caucus convened Wednesday to organize and elect leaders for the next session, re-electing Brian Bosma of Indianapolis, Speaker; Representative Bill Friend of Macy, Majority Floor Leader, and Noblesville Representative Kathy Kreag Richardson as Caucus Chairwoman. Joining the leadership team and 50 incumbents were 19 newly elected members, including Rick Niemeyer of Lowell representing House District 11, and Hal Slager of Schererville representing House District 15. After Tuesday's elections, Republicans now hold a supermajority in the Indiana House and Senate.
Indiana House Republicans News Release:
STATEHOUSE - Members of the Indiana House Republican Caucus convened today to organize and elect their leaders for the upcoming legislative session.
The caucus re-elected the leadership team of Representative Brian C. Bosma as Speaker (R-Indianapolis), Representative Bill Friend as Majority Floor Leader (R-Macy) and Representative Kathy Kreag Richardson as Caucus Chairwoman (R-Noblesville).
Joining the leadership team and 50 incumbents were 19 newly elected House Members:
· Dale DeVon (R-Granger), Owner and Operator of DeVon Custom Homes and a State and National Director for the Home Builders Assoc., representing House District (HD) 5;
· Rick Niemeyer (R-Lowell), Owner and Operator of Lowell Livestock Auction, Managing Broker of Niemeyer Realty and the Owner and Auctioneer of Niemeyer Auction, representing HD 11;
· Sharon Negele (R-Attica), Owner and President of Wolf’s Homemade Candies, Inc., representing HD 13;
· Hal Slager (R-Schererville), Owner and Operator of Triangle Equities LLC, representing HD 15;
· Tim Harman (R-Bourbon), Owner of three Subway Franchises and two Pizzerias, representing HD 17;
· Steve Braun (R-Zionsville), Entrepreneur and Investor, representing HD 24;
· Todd Huston (R-Fishers), Senior Vice President for the College Board, representing HD 37;
· Alan Morrison (R-Terre Haute), Assistant Director for Recreation Facilities for the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, representing HD 42;
· John Price (R-Greenwood), President of JLP Enterprises and Irrigation Solutions, representing HD 47;
· Dennis Zent (R-Angola), a Dentist, representing HD 51;
· Ben Smaltz (R-Auburn), Owner and Operator of Taylor Rental, representing HD 52;
· Cindy Ziemke (R-Batesville), Owner of The Brau Haus Restaurants, representing HD 55;
· Dick Hamm (R-Richmond), Owner of the Paul Casket Company, representing HD 56;
· Peggy Mayfield (R-Mooresville), Mayfield Insurance in Mooresville and former Morgan County Clerk, representing HD 60;
· Thomas Washburne (R-Evansville), of Old National Bancorp, representing HD 64;
· Jim Lucas (R-Seymour), Owner of The Awning Guy, Inc., representing HD 69;
· Lloyd Arnold (R-Leavenworth), Owner and Operator of ServPro, representing HD 74;
· Martin Carbaugh (R-Fort Wayne), Financial Services Professional at WestPoint Financial, representing HD 81; and
· David Ober (R-Albion), a Web Developer for Cirrus ABS, representing HD 82.
“We have had excellent candidate recruitment, and Hoosiers have elected a group of leaders who already have a track record of job creation. The majority of our new members are small business owners who have experience meeting payroll, balancing budgets, thinking about the bottom line, and creating and retaining jobs.
“Hoosiers told us they want their state to live within its means, promote job creation and prepare today’s students for tomorrow’s jobs. Hoosiers have spoken, and have elected 19 new members to our Caucus,” said Speaker Bosma.